Welcome to the world of TCU Women's Soccer ... get everything you need to know about the Horned Frogs on and off the field! Meet the coaches and players ... find out about camps/clinics ... watch match highlights and video spots ... and keep informed on soccer news from around the world.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Garcia Talks About Mexico


Garcia, an Oklahoma City native, appeared in the 80th minute of the match against the United States to receive her first International Cap on March 28 in San Diego, Calif. During the 2009 season, Garcia started nine games for TCU, while also netting four goals. She also dished out three assists on the season.

Talk about your experience of playing with the Mexican National Team against the United States?
"Traveling and playing with the Mexican National Team was an awesome experience. I had so much fun and learned a lot over those three weeks with them. The first game in San Diego we lost, 3-0, but I received my first International Cap and got to play the last 10 minutes of the game. Stepping onto the field and hearing my name called out was a great feeling. The fact that I achieved one of my lifetime goals was amazing. It made my family very proud. I still know I have a long ways to go with this team. Hopefully, I will continue to build myself as a player and be able to receive more international experience. The second game in Salt Lake City was crazy. It snowed 10 inches or more and I couldn't believe the game still went on even though the snow blanketed the field. We lost 1-0 and gave the United States a run for their money. We played really well for having to play in those conditions. I didn't get any playing time in the game, but was able to support my team from the sidelines."

What was going through your head when you were told you were going in?
"I was nervous with excitement. I was ready to go in and play my hardest even though it was only 10 minutes. I was hoping to add a spark to the game and do my best."

What did you learn from playing with the national team?
"I learned to play and think a lot quicker. My teammates really pushed me and so far have helped me become a stronger player. They have also helped me with my Spanish. Hopefully, I will be able to catch on quickly with the additional time."

How do you think that experience will help you this upcoming season?
"This experience will definitely help me with this upcoming season because I have already become a stronger and quicker player from it. Over the summer, I hope to get invited to another camp and play in Puerto Rico for the Central American Games."

What are your individual goals for the upcoming season?
"My goals for the season are to continue to improve as a player and get invited to more Mexican National Team events. Also, I would like to help my team win the conference title and tournament, so we can advance to the NCAA Tournament."

What are the teams goal for this upcoming season?
"The team goals are to win the Mountain West Conference and post-season tournament. We really want to make our first appearance in the NCCA Tournament."

What do you like to do away from the soccer field?
"Away from the field, I like to hangout with my friends and family. I also like to go to movies, take vacations and just relax."